11 Ways To Boost Your Wi-Fi Signal
Working on slow Wi-Fi can be extremely dreadful, especially if you are working on a deadline. When you need to get something done and your network connection fails you, it could be very frustrating. What if we tell you there is a way for you to get the Wi-Fi to work faster? Well, here are a few tips that you can follow to make your Wi-Fi work better
Do not store the router in a cupboard
– Many people store their router in a cupboard for aesthetic or safety purposes.
– It is a lesser-known fact that putting a barrier between the router and cupboard will affect the Wi-Fi’s performance.
– The Wi-Fi signals become weak from the get-go when barricaded.
– The Wi-Fi will receive a stronger signal when it is not covered by walls and doors
Place the router centrally
This doesn’t apply to Wi-Fi signals which are connected with Ethernet cables.
– But if you have a wireless router, you need to make sure that the router is located centrally.
– Doing this will also provide good strength if connected to multiple devices
Keep the router at an elevated platform
Routers work like radio. They broadcast signals at a downward angle.
– Keeping the router near the ground will make the signal unavailable to people.
– It will also be not as strong.
– To prevent this, locating the router centrally also keep the router elevated.
Keep the router away from other electronics
Keeping the router has one other benefit; it keeps the router away from other electronic devices.
– Placing many devices together can interfere with each other’s signals.
– Keeping the router, modem, and server together might be convenient, but it could be a huge hurdle for the network.
– To receive the best signal, avoid placing any device with an internal motor or wiring near the router.
Utilize the router’s tools
– Your router might look like an insignificant piece of plastic but is more than that.
– The router should be treated as a mini-computer with a Wi-Fi network card.
– Some various features and settings can help boost the performance of the router.
– Routers are made to work in a way that they are functional straight out of the box.
– In case you are facing any issue with the router or the network connection, it can be solved with the router settings.
Adjust the router’s antenna
– As we mentioned the similarity between radio and antenna.
– The router also works as a radio i.e. with the help of the antenna.
– It may seem blatantly obvious but pointing the direction of the antenna in the right direction can make a huge difference.
– A simple step as this will help in bettering the signal of the Wi-Fi.
Use uncongested wireless channels
– If you are using the Wi-Fi for your office work, chances are many other offices are also located near.
– If those offices are also using their router, there will be a lot of signals crossing each other.
– Learn how to change Wi-Fi channel, as it could make a big difference in Wi-Fi’s performance.
– Different routers work on different channels but might cross with each other.
– Your router might auto select a channel the same as the other router which could congest the signal.
– You can manually select a router to select a channel to avoid using a congested signal.
– For this purpose, you can use a Wi-Fi stumbler.
Password protect your router
Never leave your Wi-Fi unprotected without a password.
– It can attract a lot of uninvited users who will in turn make the connection weaker.
– The broadband strength will become weaker and lower the performance of your Wi-Fi.
– Most Wi-Fi comes with a predetermined password, these passwords can be later changed.
– Having a password will also prevent your network from viruses and malware.
– Also, this will prove to be a protection against hackers
Make the most of guest Wi-Fi
– It is common courtesy to provide your guests with a network.
– The process of how to set up guest network is relatively simple.
– Providing guests with their network will also prevent your Wi-Fi network from being bogged on.
– You have the authority to change the settings of the router that will limit the control of the guests.
– You need to limit the guest’s activities to prevent the broadband from giving a weak network.
– Restrict the guest’s activities to email and internet access.
– This will help in boosting Wi-Fi signal as well as boosting Wi-Fi speed.
Prevent network congestion
– Select the settings on your Wi-Fi router that will eliminate certain activities to improve the quality of service.
– During work people usually drift off to a different platform such as YouTube that increases the load on bandwidth.
– Adjust the priority on content type.
– Basic internet and file transfer should be a type of this priority content type.
– This is a good Wi-Fi signal booster for home and office.
Upgrade your router
– Sometimes even when you put in your best efforts, your router grows tired.
– The ‘top of the line’ routers changes constantly as the technology progresses.
– Many routers become outdated due to this.
– Consult an IT department or service provider.
– Discuss getting a new router to boost the signals.
To further learn about how to boost Wi-Fi signal or to receive our in-home services you may contact us on the following details-
You can call us on our toll-free number- +1 (213) 220-9904
Visit our store between 8 AM to 10 PM, from Monday to Saturday at this address- 13242 Reliance Street CA 91331 US
Email us any Wi-Fi-related queries on firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that our on-store services are unavailable on Sundays but our helpline is available 24/7